Tuesday 25 August 2015

Dragonfly

Migrant Hawker Dragonfly (Aeshna Mixta)

Tuesday 25th August 2015

Sunny and windy outside when I noticed a couple of dragonflies drifting around the garden. Quarter of an hour later and I was out in the back garden, when I happened to notice the above clinging to our clematis with wings outstretched. I was fascinated by it, don't think I have seen one so close. I ran inside to get my camera, thinking that it would have flown away by the time I got back. To my astonishment, it was still there. I approached with caution and was able to get a few pictures before it flew away. Not knowing exactly what it was I had to look it up. It is a Migrant Hawker and used to be rare in this country, but is now well established in the south and east. I am led to believe that this one is a female.

No comments:

Post a Comment