Thursday 13 August 2015

Aces High

It should have been!

Thursday 13th August 2015

Having been informed that four Spitfire aircraft were to fly over Scarborough today at 1640, we made our way across there in good time. They were to fly over Whitby, then down to Scarborough and onto Bridlington, it was going to be a unique occasion. I took up a position near the top of Scarborough Castle, on the north side and waited for them to come into view. I guessed they would be flying low, so with this vantage point, I would be able to photograph them quite close. I was able to see about eight miles up the coast, so had plenty of time to prepare for my shots. Five o'clock came and went, then half five, then six, no information from anyone. Hundreds of people were waiting, but not any more. I decided to call it a day. Driving home I was a bit upset to learn that they had been seen at Whitby, but had not flown over Scarborough or Bridlington. For once, I had been organised and been in the right place. I had so much time to imagine the shot I was going to take that I couldn't get it out of my head. I got home and decided I would take that shot - but I didn't have a Spitfire! Not to be outdone, I discovered a propeller driven aircraft in the form of a 'Matchbox' Cessna metal model (circa 1974) in among my Grandson's toy box. I photographed it, cut it out, introduced a cloudy sky, then gave the aircraft a bit of motion blur and that was the image I had in my mind. For Cessna think Spitfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment