Thursday 3 September 2015

Ye Olde Manor House

Seamer Manor House

Wednesday 2nd September 2015

About six months ago I was driving through Seamer village and noticed part of an old stone building in a field behind the church. Every time I drive through there now, I keep wanting to go and have a look what it is. Today, on returning from Scarborough, I decided to stop and investigate. There is an information panel at the field gate explaining that it was the site of Seamer Manor House, built in the 15th Century. The site survives as earthworks on high ground on what led down to the 24 acre site of the Mere, from which Seamer gets its name. The Manor House was demolished and robbed during the 1700's, yet the one piece that remains is the main door to the house.  I wanted to convey the defiance of the last piece of this structure to succumb to Mother Earth. With this in mind, I took the photograph with the sun from the left illuminating the thickness of the wall around the door and taken close up to make the building stand out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment