Thursday 17 September 2015

Canal Junction


Canals meet at Lower Frankton

Sunday 13th September 2015

A lack of recent posts is due to the fact I was away for a few days. Still taking my image a day, but unable to upload them until I got home.
Sunday and I was east of Oswestry in Shropshire, at a place called Lower Frankton, where two canals meet - a junction. The Montgomery canal in the foreground was 35 miles long and ran from Newtown in Powys. It was abandoned in 1936, but restoration work began in 1969 and is continuing. The locks at Lower Frankton have been restored and it is hoped to have the full 35 miles restored. The canal running right to left in the image is the Shropshire Union canal and is very well used. I find canals very peaceful and with a speed limit of 'walking pace', no one is in a rush to go anywhere. The still water on the canals make for good reflections.



No comments:

Post a Comment