Thursday 3 September 2015

Hull. City of Culture 2017?

Please tidy up the bits where people walk

Thursday 3rd September 2015

Two years ago my wife and I had an interesting walk along the riverside from St. Andrews Dock to The Deep. There was decay, but you could make out some of the history of the area. I found it fascinating, people were walking, cyclists were using it, a good walk. Today, I parked at St. Andrews Dock and walked along the riverside path, I got as far as the lock gates, to find the footpath over the gates was closed. I walked around the head of the dock, knowing I wanted to be along the riverside path. Walking alongside the Lord Line building it was awful. Running a bulldozer over the area now and again would at least clear up some debris, as above. At the end of the building there was a sign saying that the riverside walk was closed due to flood alleviation works. Full marks for doing something about the flooding, but people are looking to the City now in readiness for the year of culture. It is no good promoting one area all the time, if other areas are completely neglected. A joined up approach would make the area welcoming. It is not just about 2017. It's about living in Hull today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment