Friday 18 September 2015

Waterfall Country

Sgwd yr Eira  (Fall of snow) waterfall. Brecon Beacons National Park

Tuesday 15th September 2015

With an overnight stop in Llanelli and having dried out from yesterday, we decided to get wet again, with a walk in 'Waterfall Country'. We drove into Brecon Beacons National Park near to Ystradfellte for the start of a five mile walk taking in four fantastic waterfalls. With full waterproofs on and with it still raining, we set off. After yesterdays very heavy rain, we knew it was the right thing to do! The falls were very impressive, most having huge drops and I got some great photographs; but it was this waterfall (Sgwd yr Eira) that proved the most challenging to photograph. The public footpath actually goes under the waterfall, which has a drop of about thirty feet. I wanted to go behind, but the path was well and truly closed today (we were going back the way we came in). As well as the rain, the wind was whipping up the spray from the falls. I was tight up against a rock wall, with water pouring down my back from mini waterfalls above me. My brolly was up, my camera was on a tripod as I wanted a long exposure shot, but the lens would have been covered in water. It had to be a relatively quick shot. I settled on 1/10th of a second, then dried the camera!


No comments:

Post a Comment