Wednesday 30 September 2015

Forces of good and evil

Part of 'Wave' Poppy Sculpture

Tuesday 29th September 2015

On the way home from Manchester we decided to call in at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. As we approached the entrance we were in a large queue and I couldn't understand why. Then we saw the poster for the 'Wave' poppy sculpture! The sculpture itself is one of the two sculptures that were installed at the Tower of London to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War. Here, they formed a red cascade from the top of the 'Cascade Bridge' into the Lower lake. It was a great sight, but with lots of people either stood on the bridge or taking a classic photograph of the cascade (which I took as well), I decided to adapt my own interpretation of the theme. Standing on the bridge, I isolated an edge of the display. Near to the bridge it was muddy with almost black reflections, whilst a few feet away there was greenery and light. I put the bright red poppies in the middle and so the poppies conveyed the good and the evils of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment