Tuesday 22 September 2015

Hessle Windmill

Hessle Whiting Mill

Tuesday 22nd September 2015

On a warm and sunny afternoon, I found myself in Hessle with some time to kill. I parked on Hessle Foreshore at the Humber Bridge and had a wander. I have photographed the bridge a number of times from both banks; whether it was the strong sunlight or my mood - I was not inspired. I have yet to walk and/or cycle across and I think there will be some interesting images for the future. Back to today; having walked under the bridge, I came to the Hessle windmill. It was bathed in glorious sunshine which was reflecting from the black building, actually making it shine. Each time I have visited in the past, it has always struck me as a very dark dismal building, hidden in the trees. Today, it lit up and the shadows from the trees showed it was not that black after all. It was used for grinding chalk and was built about 1806 and worked under sail until 1925 when it had the sails removed. It was then driven by electric power until the mill closed in the 1960's.

No comments:

Post a Comment