Tuesday 8 September 2015

Ebberston Hall

The smallest Stately Home in England

Monday 7th September 2015

A visit to Pickering today and home via Ebberston. For me, no visit to Ebberston is complete without a visit to St. Mary's church (where some of my ancestors are buried), a check on the deer in the field next door and next to that Ebberston Hall. The church and the hall are north west of the village on the north side of the A170 Scarborough to Pickering road. The Palladian mansion was built in 1718 for the mistress of William Thompson MP for Scarborough, the architect was Colen Campbell. It sits at the end of Kirk Dale and is tiny. I can imagine my ancestors in the village wanting to live in the little house on the hill. I exposed the shot to show the beautiful coloured stone work. There is even the customary Highland cow shading itself from the sun, centre frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment