Sunday 6 December 2015

Starting them young

Juvenile Herring gull practising shaking its catch

Sunday 6th December 2015

Once the high winds died down, we had a day trip to Whitby. Ages since I have just wandered around the town and I enjoyed it. It was busy, good to see that the Council run car park at the Abbey was free until March. People at Scarborough complain about the seagulls, but the adult herring gulls I witnessed at Whitby were probably more ferocious and determined. I saw at first hand one dive down and scoop fish from the fish and chip paper of one unhappy woman. Once this one succeeded, it was quickly followed by another, only to be shooed away and then another. It was whilst walking around the marina area later on that I saw this juvenile herring gull, practising its final approach with a piece of fish and chip paper. It would walk towards it, pounce, then shake the item violently, before putting it down, backing off and having another go. It wasn't bothered about me watching it at close range. I  got the impression that somewhere close-by was an adult 'Fagin' Herring Gull watching to see if this one had honed his skills to perfection and had passed the test. Now go and pick a packet (of fish and chips) or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment