Tuesday 17 February 2015

Shrove Tuesday skipping at Scarborough

Shrove Tuesday 'skipping' at Scarborough

Tuesday 17th February 2015

My home town is Scarborough, so for me, Shrove Tuesday is pancakes, the pancake bell, pancake races and skipping on the sea front. The origins of Shrove Tuesday are Christian. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent, when Christians fasted for Easter. Shrove Tuesday was the last day for good food and fun before the long fast. In Scarborough, the festivities begin in the morning, with the ringing of the pancake bell, then there are pancake races and in the afternoon the towns folk descend onto the Foreshore for 'skipping'. Everyone takes part from young to old. I did not do the skipping this year, but I did finish with pancakes coated with golden syrup and lemon for tea. I am proud of our tradition, long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment