Friday 27 February 2015

Fountains Friday

Fountains Abbey

Friday 27th February 2015

A trip to Fountains Abbey today. Arriving at lunch time, the weather had changed from lots of sun to just glimpses of sun and plenty of cloud. We decided to walk from Fountains Abbey following the river Skell on the south side to the lake and return along the north side. I was surprised just how many people were visiting on a Friday in February. Then again, there were snowdrops everywhere, so this may have accounted for the numbers. This view, which is classic, was taken from the east and is usually a 'morning shot' with the sun shinning onto the east window. On previous visits I have found that the Abbey has great atmosphere. I have marvelled at the workmanship of the masons, the peace, spirit and seclusion of the place, the River Skell that provided life for the monks of the Cistercian order and I have been taken back in time. With so many people about today, my feelings were far from serene, I was in the 21st Century looking at a ruin, not getting the vibes and so a gloomy picture against the light, in black and white probably summed up my vision of Fountains Abbey today!

No comments:

Post a Comment