Friday 13 February 2015

Fishing Fleet Scarborough

Scallop fishing fleet

Friday 13th February 2015

A walk on the sea front at Scarborough today in a cold wind. A warming hot chocolate in Alonzi's 'Harbour Bar' and a walk on the pier. I couldn't believe my eyes just how many fishing boats were in the harbour. I thought the fishing industry had died in Scarborough long ago, but there were all these boats tied up and I thought how good it was. Then I looked closer, they were not Scarborough registered boats but boats from Kings Lynn, Ayr, Whitstable, Looe. I then noticed the fishing gear was the type used for scallop fishing and photographed one of the boats testing the 'nets'. Apparently, word got out that the waters around Scarborough were good for scallops and now everyone wants some, but the local boats are not geared up for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment