Sunday 5 July 2015

The going down of the sun

A Poppy after the rain

Sunday 5th July 2015

Last year I saw quite a few fields full of poppies on the Yorkshire Wolds. This year I have seen very few - probably not been to the right area. To some, the poppy is the symbol of Remembrance Day and the blood spilled on the battlefields during the First World War and subsequent wars. To others it has a more happier meaning of summer and corn fields (it is called the corn poppy). We are so used to seeing the full bloom of the poppies with black centres, but I decided on a closed isolated poppy with water droplets from earlier rain and late evening sun, for my image. To me, it represents an unfurled flag being dipped as a mark of respect at the end of the day, the rain drops suggesting blood or tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment