Sunday 19 July 2015

Making Connections

Scale Lane Swing Bridge, Hull

Sunday 19th July 2015

Driffield Photographic Society had a summer outing to Hull Old Town today. Rain first thing, clearing, then cloudy and windy, so a good mixed bag. This was the first time I had seen the 'new' swing bridge that links the Old Town with 'The Deep' and I was impressed. The brief when planned was to make it a swing bridge to facilitate large boats travelling up the river Hull. I have walked alongside the river Hull and most craft using the river are small and would have fitted under a fixed span. The only one that wouldn't is the Hull side trawler, 'Arctic Corsair' which is a floating (stuck in the mud) museum about 200 metres upstream! I would love to see lots of industry on the river Hull using the river, but at the moment I only see new uses for old warehousing (flats) and demolition. Sadly, it is hard to see this river coming back to life with industry. I liked the lines of the bridge and with a leaden sky, black and white, for me,  was the better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment