Saturday 4 July 2015

Peasholm Naval Battle

The liner 'Asturias' leads the procession before the battle begins

Saturday 4th July 2015

Parked the car at Peasholm in Scarborough, intending to walk through Peasholm Park to Scalby Mills. As we descended the steps into the park, I could hear military music. I then realized it was Saturday and the Naval Warfare on the lake. My watch said 3pm - they were about to kick-off. We were going to pay and see it, but a three year old grandson is frightened of loud bangs! What I didn't realize (had forgotten) was that the boats did a circuit of the park before they started, perhaps to get in position. We were walking along the 'free corridor', when the boats appeared. I photographed the boats in May for my blog when they were all in the harbour. The liner 'Asturias' (above) had both her yellow funnels removed at that time for maintenance. So here is my tribute to her, followed by 'Ark Royal', 'Achilles' and 'Ajax'.

No comments:

Post a Comment