Sunday 15 March 2015

Sunday at Church

St. Michael's Church, Coxwold

Sunday 15th March 2015

A visit to Thirsk today. I quite often travel via Sutton Bank on the way there and Coxwold on the way back. I have lost count of the number of times I have driven through Coxwold with the dark north side of the Church running parallel to the main road and wondered what the sunny south side of the Church looked like. With time to spare today, I decided to take a look. I knew the church had an unusual octagonal west tower. What I hadn't realised was, what a fantastic view of the surrounding country there was from the church and the view of the church in the sun was beautiful.
Shandy Hall, across the road from the church was home (now museum) to the famous eighteenth century novelist and curate of Coxwold, Laurence Sterne, author of Tristram Shandy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment