Thursday 12 March 2015

Memories

Looking back!

Thursday 12th March 2015

It must be nearly fifty years since I was last on the beach at Cayton Bay. I remember being eight or nine, it was summer and the beach was packed with holidaymakers. I still have vivid recollections of this view. What was it, I asked. A pill box that had guns, to stop the Germans landing in the bay was the reply. I was still not a lot wiser. Today I was standing on an empty beach looking at the pill box, a very simple concrete construction from the Second World War. I thought about how it would have looked when new, its function then and the possible threat to this country from war. I looked again and saw the big cracks in the concrete, how it was leaning towards the sea and the huge landslides behind from the boulder clay and thought of the precarious nature of our environment. Nothing is forever! I felt black and white conveyed more of a timeless feel to the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment