Tuesday 24 March 2015

St. Andrews

St. Andrew's Church, Weaverthorpe

Tuesday 24th March 2015

Passing through Weaverthorpe, I had the time to have a good look at the Church. I have passed it many times and thought there was something odd about it. It has a Norman tower with a rounded staircase turret attached to the tower and that was what made it look odd to me. Above the door (inside the porch) is a stone sundial which does not see the light of day anymore, but records that the church was built by Herbert of Winchester about 1120. The church was restored for Sir Tatton Sykes (Sledmere House) in the 1870's.

1 comment:

  1. Aaagh a church. I was at pocklington last night judging 65 pictures of churches. There is only so much you can say about churches and graveyards. I am "churched out". Oh yes, I would have included a base to the graves ;-)

    ReplyDelete