Sunday 15 November 2015

Road Works Ahead

Red glass lens

Sunday 15th November 2015

I have an old North Riding County Council red road works paraffin lamp. Looking at it, set me thinking that people were employed to fill and trim the wicks every day, so that motorists would not run into the road works at night. I decided to photograph the red lens against a black background to mimic the red light shining at night. I cleaned the lens inside and out, removed the paraffin container and shone light on the inside of the lamp to isolate the red lens. I then focused on the lens and noticed lots of bits, closer inspection revealed they were actually air bubbles in the glass. I don't know anything about Kenyons Serilight Lens and Google did not help! No doubt they were mass produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment