Thursday 9 April 2015

What's green and crinkly?

A Common Toad

Thursday 9th April 2015

Today I was doing my bit with the Cleveland Way volunteers. We were clearing drains and converting a gate to a kissing gate on Scarth Wood Moor near Osmotherley. I arrived early at the meeting point, Sheep Wash car park. It was a lovely sunny, hazy morning so I had a walk to Cod Beck reservoir. I was aware of something in the road moving towards the reservoir. On closer inspection, it was a toad. I could hear the sound of a car approaching, so I went into the middle of the road, picked it up and put it on the grass near the reservoir. I then saw another and another. In total I helped five toads across the road. All around was evidence of the ones that didn't make it, poor things.

No comments:

Post a Comment