Thursday 2 April 2015

Jennings

Jennings Brewery Cockermouth

Monday 30th March 2015

Another gloomy day on holiday, but we decided to keep dry and visit Wordsworth's birth place at Cockermouth in Cumbria. Having toured the National Trust establishment, I learned that the large detached house he was born in, went with his fathers job as land agent to the vast Lowther Estate and the Wordsworth family didn't own it, as I had thought. Cockermouth to me does not say 'Wordsworth' but 'Jennings'. I have long been a fan of Jennings beer, in particular their Cumberland Ale and best of all 'Sneck Lifter' a dark winter beer. Jennings was taken over by Marstons, but they still brew the beer in Cockermouth. I went into the brewery shop (in picture) and inquired about a brewery trip, sadly, my wife was feeling ill and this was as near as I got to the brewery trip! I had a pint of Jennings that night and thought of what might have been!

No comments:

Post a Comment